InterVac Level 3 Lab
University of Saskatchewan
In association with Hemisphere Engineering
This recently completed state-of-the-art facility located at the University of Saskatchewan site in Saskatoon, Sk. had its grand opening in September, 2011.
The facility provides a location for the research of infectious disease.
The 4,850 sq m Level 3 lab facility includes Laboratories, large animal isolation rooms, surgical and necropsy suites, and supporting offices. International Vaccine Centre (VIDO-InterVac) is one of North America’s largest containment level 2 and 3 vaccine and infectious disease research institutes.
The mechanical design featured the following:
- Perimeter Radiant heat with individual room heating control.
- Terminal units with reheat in interior areas.
- 100% fresh air supply to all Labs and isolation rooms.
- Glycol run-around loop heat-reclaim system recover’s heat from the exhaust air and transfer the energy to the incoming outside air.
- Steam building heat is supplied from the central U of S heating plant.
- Process steam and "clean steam" for laboratory applications.
- Room pressurization control.
- Indirect domestic water heating.